Thomas W. Phelan – 1-2-3 Magic: 3-Step Discipline for Calm, Effective & Happy Parenting
Courses Content :
- Thomas W. Phelan
- 6 Hours 8 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Mar 08, 2019
What is the 1-2-3 Magic System?
- Raise emotionally intelligent kids
- Excellent preventive mental health
- Avoid The Dangerous Assumption about children
- Link between child discipline and marital satisfaction
The Neuroscience Behind the Success of 1-2-3 Magic
- Research supporting 1-2-3 Magic
- Cognitive restructuring
- Simplicity and rapid, substantial results reinforce compliance
- The neuroscience of kids’ self-control
- Unique behavior management technology
Building a Solid Foundation for Parenting
- Automatic vs. deliberate parenting
- Three crucial components for happy, healthy kids
- The two biggest discipline mistakes
Controlling Obnoxious Behavior
- Counting – it’s simple but not easy!
- Techniques for problem situations
- Strategies to overcome sibling rivalry, tantrums, pouting and lying
- How to get kids onboard
Identify & Manage the 6 Types of Testing and Manipulation
- Butter Up
- Physical Tactics
Encourage Good Behavior
- Positive routines and brain pathways
- Up and out in the morning
- Cleaning up and chores
- Going to bed—and staying there!
Strengthening Parent/Child Relationships
- Sympathetic listening and emotional attachment
- The dangers of over-parenting
- Real magic: One-on-one fun
- Solve problems together
- Human bonding, human brains, and child discipline
- The No-Talking, No-Emotion rules and slipping
- Involve other caretakers
- Pre- and post-testing
- Counting start behavior
- Overfocus on counting
- Omitting relationship strengthening
- Differential diagnosis and special needs kids
Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D., is the author of numerous books, DVDs, and audios including 1-2-3: Magic: 3-Step Discipline for Calm, Effective, and Happy Parenting, the 1-2-3 Magic Workbook, 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom, All About ADHD, and 1-2-3 Magic Teen. In addition to writing and producing, Dr. Phelan maintains an active schedule of international lectures, and he is a frequent guest on radio and television. His articles appear in numerous regional and national publications.
A registered clinical psychologist, Dr. Phelan has worked with children, adults and families for over 40 years. He is a member of the American Psychological Association and the Illinois Psychological Association. He has also served on the boards of directors for both ADDA and CHADD, two national organizations for the parents of children with ADHD. Dr. Phelan was inducted into the CHADD Hall of Fame in 1997. His books have been translated into 25 languages.
Dr. Phelan has given more than 1,500 1-2-3 Magic seminars to parents, teachers, hospitals, support groups, mental health professionals, pediatricians, military installations and child psychiatrists. 1-2-3 Magic addresses child behavior management in a way that is practical, entertaining, and down-to-earth. 1-2-3 Magic is often referred to as a humorous look at parenting and a serious look at discipline.
Financial: Thomas Phelan maintains a private practice. He receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Thomas Phelan is a member of the American Psychological Association and the Illinois Psychological Association.