Susan Johnson – Emotionally Focused Therapy with Sue Johnson, Ed.D.: On Target Couple Interventions in the Age of Attachment
Courses Content :
- Susan Johnson
- 6 Hours 7 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Oct 27, 2014
The State of Couple Therapy and the New Science of Attachment
- The map to basic relationship emotions and needs
- Understanding and containing distance and distress
- Shaping responsive bonding
- Understanding love relationships – invaluable to the therapist
Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) – the Structure, Moves and Interventions
- The three stages of EFT
- Restructuring Attachment
- Key change events
Experiential and Systemic Interventions
- Reflection of emotional process
- Evocative process questions
- Deepening and distilling emotion
- Interpretation – conjecture
- Reflecting interactions – feedback loops
- Shaping enactments
- Containing enactments that go awry
The Tasks of EFT – Outline, Video Viewing, and Exercises
- The core tasks of EFT
- Building an alliance
- Reprocessing and distilling emotion
- Choreographing new interactions
Dealing with Difficult and Attachment Injured Clients – Discussion and Exercises
- Dysregulated, escalated, and shut down, dismissing clients
- Attachment injuries (i.e. affairs) – Relationship traumas that destroy trust
- A model for forgiveness and reconciliation
Discussion of the New Era of Couple Therapy
- Growing into and applying the EFT model
- Gaining confidence in EFT – Maximize effectiveness in your practice
- Key changes and challenges in the field of couple therapy
Dr. Sue Johnson, is an author, clinical psychologist, researcher, professor, popular presenter and speaker and a leading innovator in the field of couple therapy and adult attachment. Sue is the primary developer of Emotionally Focused Couples and Family Therapy (EFT), which has demonstrated its effectiveness in over 30 years of peer-reviewed clinical research.
Sue Johnson is founding Director of the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT) and Distinguished Research Professor at Alliant University in San Diego, California, and Professor, Clinical Psychiatry at the University of British Columbia, Canada, as well as Professor Emeritus, Clinical Psychology, at the University of Ottawa, Canada.
Dr. Johnson is the author of numerous books and articles including Attachment Theory in Practice: EFT with Individuals, Couples and Families (2019) The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection (3rd edition, 2019) and Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy with Trauma Survivors (2002).
Sue trains behavioral health providers in EFT worldwide and consults to the over 75 international institutes and affiliated centers who practice EFT. She also consults to Veterans Affairs and the U.S. and Canadian militaries.
Financial: Susan Johnson receives compensation as a tenured professor for the University of Ottawa. She receives royalties as an author for Little Brown, ICEEFT, Brunner Routledge, and Guilford Press. Dr. Johnson receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Susan Johnson has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.