Sarah Jane Schonour – 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom: 3 Easy Steps to Eliminate Problem Behaviors and Create a More Cooperative Classroom
Courses Content :
- Sarah Jane Schonour
- 5 Hours 13 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Dec 18, 2019
What is 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom?
- Based on the popular and effective parenting program: 1-2-3 Magic
- Simple, precise, and effective ways to manage behavior
- A “teacher-in-charge” approach with no arguing, yelling, or negativity
Build a Solid Foundation for Your Classroom
- Effective teaching is key
- Avoid The Dangerous Assumption about children
- The two biggest behavior management mistakes most teachers make
- Different types of behavior must be addressed in different ways
- Accommodations for students with learning, emotional, and developmental disabilities
Identify & Manage the 6 Types of Testing and Manipulation
- Butter Up
- Physical Tactics
Step 1: Manage and Reduce Undesirable Behavior in the Classroom
- Counting – It’s simple but not easy!
- How to get the students onboard
- Techniques to target problem situations
- Applying 1-2-3 Magic outside of the classroom
- Field trips
Step 2: Encourage Good Behavior in the Classroom
- Proactively teaching routines and procedures
- 7 simple methods to encourage positive choices
- Utilize praise and positive feedback
- What to do (and what not to do) during:
- Arrival and dismissal
- Cleaning up
- Independent work
Step 3: Strengthen Positive Relationships with Students
- Build self-esteem
- Develop constructive classroom habits
- Implement active and reflective listening
- Work collaboratively to solve problems together
Sarah Jane Schonour, MA, NBCT, is a National Board-Certified Teacher with over 25 years of experience in the field of education. She received her undergraduate degree from the College of William and Mary and her master’s degree from George Washington University. She has worked in the public-school system as an instructional assistant, classroom teacher, curriculum resource teacher, and behavior intervention teacher.
Sarah Jane is currently teaching at Arizona State University in the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College and has served as adjunct faculty for two universities in the Washington DC area. She is the co-author of 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom, which received the Teacher’s Choice Award and is a selection of the Primary Teachers’ Book Club. Sarah Jane also co-developed the 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers DVD. Audiences across the nation have been impressed with her organization, real-life examples, and practicality.
Course Content Disclosure:
Course content will focus exclusively on 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom.
Financial: Sarah Jane Schonour is an associate faculty at Arizona State University. She is a co-author of 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom and receives royalties from Sourcebooks. Ms. Schonour receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Sarah Jane Schonour has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.