Melissa Westendorf – A Complete Guide to Ethical & Legal Technology Challenges for Mental Health Professionals
Courses Content :
- Melissa Westendorf
- 6 Hours 10 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Dec 11, 2020
The Changing Landscape of Mental Health Today
- Keeping Up with Technology & Professional Liability Concerns
- Client Expectations – Are You Ethically and Legally Up to the Challenge?
Social Media and Online Advertising Ethical Challenges – (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and More!)
- Pros and Cons of Utilizing Social Media and Website In Your Practice
- Confidentiality and Privacy Issues (and How to Avoid Them)
- Boundary Issues – And How to Ethically Safeguard Yourself
- Advertising and Solicitation – Avoiding Ethical Pitfalls
- Creating Your Social Media Policies and Procedures
Email & Texting – The Legal Landmines of Electronic Communication
- Pros and Cons of Emailing and Texting With Clients
- Confidentiality/Inadvertent Disclosures – Legal Concerns
- Privacy Expectations of the Client and Maintaining Healthy Boundaries
- Creating Your Texting and Emailing Policies and Procedures
Telehealth – Avoiding Legal & Ethical Pitfalls
- Confidentiality/Privacy Concerns of Video Technology
- Practicing Across State Lines – Legal Issues and Insurance Challenges
- Client Expectations for Distance Therapy
- Creating Your Tele-Health Policies and Procedures
Electronic Records & Going Paperless – Top Mistakes to Avoid
- HIPAA – Electronic Records Legalities
- File Retention, Destruction and Security
- Cloud-Based Data – How, When and Why
- Paperless Office Software
What the Future Holds
- New Technology & What to Expect Next!
- Legal & Ethical Trends
Technology Wellness Center
Melissa Westendorf, Ph.D., J.D., is a clinical and forensic psychologist and founder of the Technology Wellness Center. As a clinician, she has provided therapy to adults and adolescents in the community and within the correctional setting. Dr. Westendorf’s forensic practice is dedicated to assessing adults and youth in either the criminal justice system or in civil matters. As a technology wellness expert, she is dedicated to assisting parents, children, adolescents, and adults on understanding the complexities of technology use and the impact on our brains, emotions, and interpersonal relationships. Dr. Westendorf’s legal training coupled with her clinical background enables her to work with individuals who are experiencing the legal ramifications of technology use.
As a proactive psychologist and educator, Dr. Westendorf is a keynote speaker at academic institutions, parent organizations, businesses, and community groups, offering preventative tools and resources that educate others on how to manage technology use in a healthy manner. She is the co-author of Unplug! Raising Kids in a Technology Addicted World. She has served on the Committee for Legal Issues for the American Psychological Association and on the Psychology Examining Board for the state of Wisconsin. Dr. Westendorf has been appointed as an expert in high profile legal cases, featuring the psychological ramifications of technology use. Her expertise has been relied upon in a wide variety of articles, podcasts, radio segments, and television programming. She has been featured on NPR (National Public Radio), Wisconsin Public Radio, and ABC’s 20/20. She is a monthly contributor to The Morning Blend.
Financial: Melissa Westendorf is a founder of the Technology Wellness Center. She is in private practice. Dr. Westendorf receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Melissa Westendorf is a member of the American Psychological Association.