Jeff Tarrant – Changing the ADHD Brain: Moving Beyond Medication & Behavior Management
Courses Content :
- Jeff Tarrant
- 6 Hours 10 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Jan 29, 2016
Why Not Medication?
- Concerns with long-term stimulant use
- Does stimulant use lead to drug abuse?
ADHD and the “Immature” Brain
- Brain imaging evidence
- Implications for Treatment
- Wake up an underaroused ADHD brain
- Hyperactivity as an adaptive mechanism
- Play and exercise grow the brain
- Role of rhythm and timing training
- Integrated movement systems for ADHD
The Latest Research on Diet and Nutrition
- Importance of proper sugars, fats, proteins and water
- Omega 3-6-9: What you need to know for brain health
- Multivitamins/minerals: Do they make a difference
- Food sensitives: the role of gluten
- Food additives
- Optimal diet for ADHD
Frontal Lobe/Working Memory Strategies/Tools
- Use it or lose it: Brain training changes the brain
- Games for impulse control and working memory
- Computerized cognitive training programs
ADHD and Nervous System Hypersensitivity
- Overstimulation as a role in ADHD
- Stress and sympathetic arousal patterns
- Implications for treatment
- Breathwork and heart rate variability biofeedback
- Video games and Social Media
- Sleep deprivation
- Same symptoms as ADHD
- Strategies to help insomnia
- Environmental toxins: lead, phthalates, pollution
- Nature Deficit Disorder: time outdoors helps with multiple ADHD concerns
The Latest Research on Lifestyle Interventions
- Light and sound strategies
Jeff Tarrant, Ph.D., BCN, Licensed Psychologist, is a licensed psychologist, educator and speaker. He has devoted his career to exploring and teaching about the mind/body connection. His work utilizes several forms of technology-based therapies including neurofeedback, audio visual entrainment, interactive metronome and heart rate variability biofeedback (HRV). In addition, Dr. Tarrant has studied and taught Qigong, mindfulness and energy psychology for the past 15 years and incorporates these practices into his model of treatment.
Dr. Tarrant is the founder and CEO of the NeuroMeditation Institute (NMI), LLC and provides certification training for NMI therapist and instructors. In addition, Dr. Tarrant is a Global Neurofeedback Initiative (GNI) Instructor and conducts national continuing education trainings on topics including: “Mindfulness Interventions to Rewire the Brain” and “Brain Changing Strategies for ADHD.” He is the author of the book, Meditation Interventions to Rewire the Brain: Integrating Neuroscience Strategies for ADHD, Anxiety, Depression & PTSD (PESI, 2017). Other works include a series of virtual reality meditations published by StoryUp VR and the book chapter, “Neuromeditation: An Introduction and Overview” in Handbook of Clinical QEEG and Neurotherapy (Routledge, 2016).
Dr. Tarrant’s research focuses on exploring brainwave changes that occur as a result of contemplative practices, energy healing and energy psychology. He is a regular presenter at national and international conferences and has a private practice in Corvallis, OR where he lives and plays.
Financial: Jeff Tarrant is the owner of Comprehensive Psychological Services. He is an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Missouri. Dr. Tarrant receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-Financial: Jeff Tarrant has no relevant nonfinancial relationship to disclose.