Carmen Thompson – Multidisciplinary Wound Care: Effective Strategies for Managing Wounds & Their Underlying Causes
Courses Content :
- Carmen Thompson
- 5 Hours 29 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Apr 06, 2016
Multidisciplinary Wound Care
- Standards of care, ethics and legalities
- Interdisciplinary care in a patient with a wound
- Why be involved in wound care?
- Considering cost, revenue, and insurance cost savings
Wound Healing Basics
- Anatomy and physiology of the skin and surrounding structures
- Stages of wound healing
- Factors affecting wound healing
Distinguishing Between Wound Types
- Chronic wounds
- Venous ulcerations
- Arterial ulcerations
- Testing — ankle-brachial index
- Pressure ulcers
- Diabetic/neuropathic ulcers
- Other, palliative, radiation
Now Let’s Make a Plan: Assessing and Planning for the Treatment of the Wound
- Assessment tools
- Functional needs of the patient
- Other factors affecting wound healing
Executing Your Treatment Plan
- Preparing the wound bed
- Is there infection?
- Do you need to debride?
- Is it wet or dry?
- Is the wound painful?
- How do we clean it?
- What topical?
- Is this treatment functional for the patient if possible?
- Is there edema present?
- How can we go above and beyond?
- Therapeutic modalities
Team Communication, Monitoring, & Progress
Carmen Thompson, LPTA, CMT, CLT, WCC, Related seminars and products: 1
CARMEN THOMPSON, LPTA, CMT, CLT, WCC, has provided inpatient and outpatient therapy to patients with a variety of diagnoses for over 20 years. In addition to private practice, she has served as Director of Rehabilitation Services at Tandem Health Care and Facility/Area Administrator of Rehabilitation at Prism Rehab Systems, overseeing therapists, program development, and patient care.
She is a national trainer in the areas of lymphedema, oncology, wound care, and vascular care and offers certification trainings through her company, Monarch Continuing Education – home to one of only seven programs in the US meeting training guidelines for the certification of lymphedema therapists set forth by the National Lymphedema Network and the Lymphology Association of North America.
Financial: Carmen Thompson is the owner of Lymphatic Care Specialists, LLC; and Monarch Continuing Education. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Carmen Thompson is a member of the National Alliance of Wound Care and Ostomy; Lymphology Association of North America (LANA); and the International Society of Lymphology.