Allan Barsky – Ethics: Current Issues and Practical Responses
Courses Content :
- Allan Barsky
- 6 Hours 22 Minutes
- Audio and Video
- Jul 31, 2019
A Process-Oriented Approach to Managing Ethical Issues
- Early identification
- Engage clients and others in resolving ethical issues
- Manage ethical, moral, legal and personal obligations
An Interest-Based Approach to Managing Ethical Issues
- Focus on interests rather than positions
- Enhance communication and trust
- Identify common ground and valid differences
- Generate options to maximize benefits and mitigate ethical risks
- Separate the person from the problem
- Apply objective criteria
- Obtain commitments
Using Communication Technologies
- Rationale for using videoconferencing, email, Smart phones, online social networking and other communication technologies
- Identify risks relating to confidentiality, documentation, client safety, maintaining appropriate boundaries and informed consent
- Manage ethical risks and promote the highest standards of practice
Clinicians in Court
- Identify situations when clinicians may be called to testify or produce evidence
- Balance client, clinician and third party interests in confidentiality, privilege, due process, safety and informed consent
- Respond to client requests, informal attorney requests and subpoenas
Florida Atlantic University
Professor of Social Work
Allan Barsky, JD, MSW, PhD, is the past chair of the National Ethics Committee of the National Association of Social Workers and professor with the Florida Atlantic University School of Social Work. Dr. Barsky’s clinical practice includes work in child welfare, intimate partner abuse, family mediation, addiction and forensic social work.
Dr. Barsky was awarded “Creative Scholar of the Year” by Florida Atlantic University. His book credits include Ethics and Values in Social Work (Oxford University Press), Clinicians in Court (Guilford Press), Conflict Resolution for the Helping Professions (Brooks/Cole) and Interprofessional Practice with Diverse Populations (Greenwood).
Dr. Barsky has spoken at many national and international conferences, including those of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Association for Practical and Professional Ethics, National Association of Social Workers, International Federation of Social Workers, Family Mediation Canada, Council on Social Work Education, and Association for Conflict Resolution. He has presented workshops and classes in New York, Washington, Los Angeles, Dallas, Toronto, Jerusalem, London, Helsinki and Amsterdam.
Financial: Allan Barsky receives compensation as Professor from the Florida Atlantic University. He receives royalties as an author for Oxford University Press. Dr. Barsky receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Allan Barsky has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.